background

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Line

I'm going to tell this story by answering the five "w's".



1. What? Certified Nursing Assistant training course.
It is required before I apply to the Nursing program that I become certified as a CNA. My plan has been to take care of this requirement this summer by taking a class at the hospital. I wanted to get into the class room based course that started in the beginning of July. I spent a lot of time working on my application packet for this course which included getting my personal immunizations updated and having documentation about such, taking a reading comprehension exam on campus, becoming professionally trained in CPR, and passing a TB test. Not to mention saving up the CASH!!! The class cost $750.
I heard that the class filled up fast so I made sure I was ready to turn my application in the first day they were accepting them. I had no idea. I marched myself down there after my classes were over at 1:00 in the afternoon only to find out the class was already full.
WHHHHHAAAAATTTTT!
Apparently people were lined up the night before at 11:00 p.m. to turn in their apps.
My only option at this point was to wait three weeks and apply for the on-line course. The only one left this summer. Which happens to cost $300 more than the in class version of the course.
2. When? 8:30 p.m.
I knew I was going to have to camp out all night. The more I thought about it, the more worried I got, so I decided to go down there and set up "camp" as soon as I got out of scouts that night. Guess what? I was not the first one there. Not even the second. At 8:30 p.m. the day before they were accepting applications I was already #4 in line.
3. Who? Fellow Med. students
We were all either pre-med, or pre-nursing and for the most part went to the same school. We got to know each other very well that night.
4. Where? In a parking lot at the Hospital
I sat in my camp chair with gloves, a hat, two coats, and my down blanket and I still got cold. Good thing it wasn't raining.
5. Why?
Now THAT is the question. The only answer I have is that I must want to be a nurse really bad. It is amazing what kind of hoops you can make a student jump through in order meet your requirements.

1 comment:

  1. You should check into seeing if there are any grants or anything. When I had to take it, I agreed to work for Good Sam for a certain amount of time and in return they paid it for me. Now, obviously, that was pre kids so it was a bit easier to do then, but you might be able to work night shift or something.

    ReplyDelete